Oh My Cupcakes! is way more than a storefront that sells cupcakes. We want to invite you in and share some of our history and fun facts. We want you to feel like we sell more than cupcakes, too.
In order for us to get to know each other a little better, we’ve compiled a list of 20 things that you may not know about Oh My Cupcakes!
We had so much fun walking down memory lane as we compiled this list, it originally started off as “10 Things You Didn’t Know About Oh My Cupcakes!” and quickly turned into “20 Things.”
So it begins…
- The first retail location of Oh My Cupcakes! opened her doors April 1st, 2010, thus beginning the start of a beautiful journey. Shoutout to Pamela Miller for being the first official customer!
- Our founding verse is “Commit your actions to the Lord and your plans will succeed” Proverbs 16:3.
- The store was nearly called “Cupcake Days.” Melissa’s five year old son, Brandon, inspired her when he started saying, “Oh My Cupcakes!” instead of “Oh My Goodness!”
- We have a secret menu item called the “Frosting Shot” where you can purchase JUST the frosting. We just warn you not to give it to your kids too close to bedtime…
- We use around 240 lbs of butter a week in our recipes. You know what else weighs 240 lbs? A female lion...fierce.
- We ship nationwide! We’ve shipped cupcakes as near as Mitchell and as far as Seattle to the Amazon headquarters.
- The New York Yankees have gotten a sugar rush from our cupcakes!
- We can put your face on a cupcake!!!!!!! Say what?! Talk to a Cupcake Ninja to see how in the world this is possible.
- In 2012, a young girl that made it her mission to try every single one of our cupcakes..and succeeded. Could you beat the challenge?!
- Our current 57th & Bridges location opened her doors on August 6th, 2013. Shoutout to Linda Blom for waiting outside even before our doors opened!
- Underneath nearly every surface in our Bridges location are handwritten messages from all the Cupcake Ninjas. Many left quotes, blessings to the workers that helped build the interior, and Bible verses. We wanted the foundation of Oh My Cupcakes! to hold words of love and gratitude for every person that steps foot through our door.
- One of our biggest wedding orders was 97 dozen cupcakes...nearly 1,200 cupcakes. But what makes it better? The wedding was for a group of unlikely cupcake lovers: a bunch of burly bikers!
- When we deliver cupcakes, people often include a card message that we hand-write and attach to the box. One of our favorite card messages was going to a dentist’s office. The card read: “Thanks for fixing my jacked up teeth!”
- In 2013, Oh My Cupcakes! was honored to win South Dakota-Woman-Owned-Small Business of the Year with the Small Business Association.
- Melissa, the founder of Oh My Cupcakes!, wrote an interactive-inspirational leadership book about Oh My Cupcakes! called “Fingers in the Frosting.” She is currently working on her second book.
- Our busiest day is Valentine’s Day with well over 1,000 customer transactions. We bake everything fresh from scratch and begin that day between midnight and two a.m.
- Oh My Cupcakes! has twice been named on a list of top 50 cupcake shops in the nation, once ranking at #17.
- We have a fun way to bring the party home with you. We have these cool things called Party Kits! We include two cupcakes, a bag of delicious buttercream and two pods of sprinkle and candy toppings.
- For all of you familiar with June Cleaver, she was one of the inspirations behind the elegant vintage theme to the store. We wanted a theme that was a nod to simpler times, where things like baking homemade, from scratch, and with love were important.
- We keep waiting for the day one of us is tired of eating cupcakes…still hasn’t happened!
Our favorite thing is to get to know you, so we thought we’d offer a chance for you to get to know us.